PAUL GORDON HOFFMAN
Paul Gordon Hoffman is a founding member of the Firm. He practices in the areas of tax, estate planning, trust administration and probate, and charitable planning.
Mr. Hoffman was chosen by Best Lawyers as the 2010 “Top Tax Lawyer” in the metropolitan Los Angeles area. He also has twice been recognized as one of the “Top 100 Lawyers” in Southern California by “Super Lawyers.” He is a former Chairperson of the Tax Section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and has taught taxation at UCLA School of Law, and taxation and gifts, wills and trusts at the USC Law Center.
Among the many organizations to which Mr. Hoffman has spoken are the American Bar Association Tax Section, AICPA Advanced Estate Planning Conference, USC Tax Institute, UCLA/CEB Estate Planning Institute, USC Probate and Trust Conference, Practicing Law Institute, California Continuing Education of the Bar and the NYU Tax Institute. He is the Co-Chair of the UCLA/CEB Estate Planning Institute. He is a member of the Motion Picture and Television Tax Institute and is on the planning committee of the USC Trust and Estate Conference (formerly known as the USC Probate and Trust Conference).
Mr. Hoffman has published the following articles:
- “Limits on Retroactive Decision Making by the Internal Revenue Service: Redefining Abuse of Discretion Under Section 7805 (b),” 23 UCLA Law Review 529
- “Should You Make Gifts Before Year-End? The Effect of the Tax Reform Act of 1976,” 52 Los Angeles Bar Journal 226
- “Salary – Continuation Plans Can Be Estate Tax Free But May Run Into Gift Tax Problems,” 9 Taxation For Lawyers 376
- “Planning An Estate in Light of Recent Changes in Tax and Copyright Laws,” 5 Estate Planning 90
- “Estate Planning for Individuals in the Entertainment Industry,” Southern California Tax Institute 875, 1979
- “Income Taxation of Estates and Trusts,” CEB, 1980; “Estate Planning for Clients with Special Assets,” Estate Planning, 1980
- “The Marital Deduction: Beyond the Basics,” 35 Major Tax Planning, 1983
- “Estate Planning – A Client Based Approach,” 39 Major Tax Planning, 1987
- “Estate Planning for Qualified Plan Benefits After 1986, ” Estate Planning 1987
- “Retirement Plans & QTIPS,” CEB, 1995
- ” New Developments: Grantor Trust,” NYU, 1995
- “Federal and California Individual Income Tax Developments,” USC Law School Tax Institute, 1996 # 1300
- “International Estate Planning,” Matthew Bender, 1992
Co-Designer of a best selling software program:
- “Brentmark Pension & Excise Tax Planner”